GLOBAL WOMEN ON BOARDS (GWOB)
The Global Women on Boards programme will provide participants the opportunity to appreciate the differences in overall board governance, leadership and dynamics spanning across borders. Designed to help women understand the skills required of board directors, gain insights needed to effectively participate on progressive boards and support their search for a seat on a board, the 8-month programme is a modular journey, taking participants through the essentials of Global Boardroom Trends, Corporate Governance, Risk & Finance, Board Dynamics, Board Leadership Presence and Board Profiling. The journey culminates with a Board Simulation, which allows the delegates to apply the knowledge and learning gained in a safe space. Throughout the programme the participants will be guided and supported by international mentors with board experience
A six month modular programme, the GWOB will be hosted across East Africa and Malaysia to provide participants the opportunity to appreciate the differences in overall board governance, leadership and dynamics in boardrooms spanning borders.
Purpose of the Programme:
- Provide a global outlook and exposure to new markets.
- Open regional or international board opportunities for women.
- Surface the unconscious bias on diversity and merit at board levels.
- Extend the network circles.
- Tap into a global board mentoring platform.
- Learn about the different types of board cultures, key roles and responsibilities for board service
- Explore ways to enhance your board leadership impact, visibility and networks
- Participate in group and one-on-one mentoring sessions to develop your board readiness
- Develop a board profile that is tailored to what boards are looking for today
- Interact with experienced board directors and corporate governance experts to understand the board appointment process and expectations
How Does It Work ?
- Women delegates are invited to the programme based on their interest to serve on boards and their readiness in terms of qualification and experience.
- They will go through two intensive modules designed to give them the knowledge and exposure to global governance, leadership and dynamics.
- During the programme, they will be matched and mentored by both male and female directors across borders*.
- Networking opportunities are organised for them to connect with key stakeholders – regulators, investors and board directors.
March – October 2021
9 am to 5 pm
Full Programme Fee
USD 3,000 (+tax)
Global Board Mentoring
- Connect to mentors across the globe.
- Mentors and mentees are matched based on their areas of interest and need.
- Meetings can be face-to-face or virtual.
- Group mentor sessions will be organised during the course of the programme.
Anne Abraham was a corporate leader from the technology industry for more than 20 years before she founded LeadWomen Sdn Bhd, an MSC status consultancy company in 2011. Recognised as a thought leader in diversity and inclusion, both locally and regionally, a frequent speaker, facilitator and moderator in leadership events. She is the co-founder of the Malaysian Chapter of the 30% Club, a global business campaign lobbying for increased women representation on the boards, a board director on 2 Malaysian PLCs and a strong advocate for gender balanced leadership.
DR JANE HORAN
Author, International Speaker and Diversity Expert
Jane is an expert in cross cultural leadership and career transitions. An internationally recognized speaker and author of “I Wish I’d Known That Earlier in My Career: The Power of Positive Workplace Politics”, a business book used by corporate universities and career coaches globally, she is also the author of How Asian Women Lead: Lessons for Global Corporations, based on her doctoral research, using storytelling to show new perspectives on the future of leadership and careers. Her next book, Career Your Way, will be published, 2016.
Jane has written articles on women leaders, office politics and career transitions for Bloomberg Business Week, Human Resource Review, Quartz, The Economist Intelligence Unit, South China Morning Post, Straits Times and other publications.
With over 20 years of work experience with companies such as Kraft, Disney and GE, Jane uses her work knowledge to help organisations build inclusive and engaged workplaces. Her consulting work includes Fortune 100 firms such as, BP, Credit Suisse, Covidien, E&Y, McDonalds, Microsoft, Monsanto, Jones Lang LaSalle, Syngenta, SingTel, Toshiba, VMWare and others. Through her advisory work, coaching and workshops, by recognizing what matters most to succeed, Jane provides both sound advice and practical tools to help organisations retain and engage talent. She is a Senior Fellow with the Conference Board, has lectured in the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy at the National University of Singapore, Chinese University of Hong Kong and Singapore Management University. Jane has lived, worked and studied in the US, China and Hong Kong, and holds an Educational Doctorate from Bristol University. She now lives in Singapore.
CATHERINE MUSAKALI, LL.B, LL.M, FCPSK, ACIrb
Founder and Legal Counsel
Prior to founding Dorion Associates, Catherine worked for Kenya Shell Limited as their Company Secretary and Head of Legal for over fifteen (15) years. She has also worked for shell UK where she specialized in Mergers and Acquisitions and other commercial transactions as well as being the Legal Focal Point for all Contracting and Procurement matters for its businesses in the 23 Countries in Africa. She represented her employer on the Board of Petroleum Institute of East Africa,
Catherine was, until May 2014, the Chairman of the Institute of Certified Public Secretaries of Kenya (ICPSK) and has also served as the Chair of its Education and Professional Development Committee as well as the Legislation and Corporate Governance Committee. She also sat on the Council of the Corporate Secretaries International Association, which is a global body bringing together governance professionals.
Catherine has led the development of three codes of Corporate Governance. These are;
- Mwongozo, The Code of Corporate Governance for State Corporations.
- The Capital Markets Code of Corporate Governance Practices for Issuers of Securities
- The ICPSK Code of Corporate Governance for Private Companies.
Founder and Chairman of The Women on Boards Network, she is currently the Company Secretary of a number of Companies and sits on various Boards including Faulu Microfinance Bank and KASNEB. She also served as the Chairman of the Capital Markets Authority (CMA) Corporate Governance steering Committee and is currently a member of the Capital Markets Master Plan Implementation Committee. She has also served as Company Secretary of Kenya Petroleum Refineries Limited, and has been a Board member of Nairobi Securities Exchange, Association of Kenya Insurers (AKI) and the Chairman of Kenya Seed Company Limited.
Catherine is a trained Corporate Governance Trainer, Governance Auditor and Board Evaluator and has developed policies on governance for a number of institutions.
Catherine holds a Bachelor of Laws Degree and a Master of Laws Degree from the University of Nairobi, a Higher National Diploma in Law (Kenya), as well as a certificate in Securities and Investment from the Securities and Investment Institute (London).
| Anne Abraham
Dorian Assoc, Kenya
The mentor list will be released soon!
- International exposure and business networking opportunities across the countries
- Mentored by global network of mentors
- Networking events during the course of the programme
- Site visits and guest speakers related to the capital markets
- Media coverage on the programme
- Provides a global outlook and exposure to board governance and leadership
- Opens regional and international board opportunities
- Extends network circles globally – regulators, investors, partners and board directors
- Provides access to global mentors & board directors
Who Should Attend
- CEOs, CFOs, COOs, and Heads of functional units
- New and current Women Board Directors who want to improve or refresh their skills and knowledge on the expectations of Boards today.